Saturday, April 18, 2009

IGUANA


Colombia is divided into regions and each region has its own typical food; these regions are; Pacific coast, Atlantic coast, Andina region and eastern prairies. In the Pacific coast the food is based on products from the sea and coconut, they prepare all kind of dishes and they use many vegetables. in the Atlantic coast people make the food based on sea products, coconut and all kind of vegetables, they like much fried food, and they also prepare Iguana, Iguana is the typical dish, and not everybody is able eat it, if they know that it is Iguana. The Andina region is known because the typical is food is based on corn and red and white meat; they eat goat, pork, beef, chicken, fish from fresh water and some animal from the jungle people like to combine all kind of vegetables in the soup, they eat meat of from the jungle, they prepare a special food with a big ant called “hormiga culona” in Spanish. In the eastern prairies people prepare their food based on red meat specially beef, they make this in different ways, they roast, steak or smoke it, when they serve this dish, they accompany it with rice and yucca, they spread on it a kind of sauce called “suero” in Spanish.
After the introduction let me tell you that one day, a friend invited me to a small town in the Atlantic coast, when we got there, we were very hungry and we went to a local restaurant, in the restaurant, he ordered the menu, he asked me what I would like to eat and I answered him, the same food that you order, after that I went to the restroom, when I came back, the food was already on the table and I immediately started to eat, I finished everything quickly because I was very hungry and then he asked if I had ever eaten Iguana in my life, I answered him, never in my life, then he said, what you ate today was Iguana, how did you like it? I almost vomit that day. That is the strangest thing I have eaten in my life.
Iguana is a wild animal from Colombia tropical jungle and people do not eat it because the color of the meat is very white and it is not attractive to eat.

1 comment:

  1. We used to have a pet Iguana at my Elementary School. It didn't look too pleasant. Actually, If I think of it's face I loose my appetite.

    ReplyDelete